American Men’s Studies Association Mission Statement
The American Men’s Studies Association advances the critical study of men and masculinities by encouraging the development of teaching, research and clinical practice in the field of men’s studies.
AMSA provides a forum for teachers, researchers, students, and practitioners to exchange information and to gain support for work on men and masculinities.
The AMSA Board affirms the following statements about the organization and the field of men’s studies:
- Men’s studies includes scholarly, clinical, and activist endeavors engaging men and masculinities as social-historical-cultural constructions reflexively embedded in the material and bodily realities of men’s and women’s lives.
- AMSA is multidisciplinary in nature and committed to disseminating new knowledge about men and masculinities to a broad audience.
- AMSA seeks the participation and membership of all men and women irrespective of race, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical abilities, nationality, or religious identity.
- AMSA is committed to excellence, inclusiveness, and ethical behavior in men’s studies research, publication, teaching, and practice.
- AMSA strongly encourages student participation and membership, offering scholarship and mentoring opportunities for young scholars in the field.
- AMSA values and encourages mutually empowering scholarly and professional relationships that are generative, empowering, and affirming in nature.