The University of Wroclaw, Poland will host an international interdisciplinary conference titled “Focus on Fathers. Fatherhood in Contemporary Discourse,” which will be held at the Institute of English Studies, University of Wroclaw, Poland September 4-5, 2015.
The conference aims to explore the plethora of father figures present in literature, film, television series, video games, social media, media publications. We invite contributions from scholars and students representing all academic disciplines, including but not limited to literature studies, film studies, pop cultural studies, social studies, trauma studies, disability studies, queer studies, and more.
Conference organizers are calling for abstracts of papers. Abstracts not exceeding 300 words should be emailed here. Include name, affiliation, email address and up to 6 key words. The abstract submission deadline in July 15, 2015. Notifications of acceptance will be sent by July 25, 2015.
Suggested areas of research include but are not limited to:
- Depictions of fathers/father figures in literature, film, and new media
- Fatherhood and the cultural and social norms
- Fatherhood versus motherhood; fatherhood and gender roles
- Non-biological fatherhood
- Toxic fatherhood
- Blogging and digital fathers
- Fatherhood and post-humanism
- Fatherhood in the public discourse
- Discrimination of fathers
- Masculinitites and fatherhood; hegemonic masculinity versus fatherhood
- Non-normative fathers
- Absence of fatherhood
- Fatherhood in relation to centers of authority and economy
- Parenting how-to books
After the conference, all papers will be eligible for publication in a post-conference per-reviewed journal
For more information go to the Conference website.