The deadline has been extended to December 1, 2017 for applications for the Advanced Training Program in Transgender Mental Health at Widener University, in Chester, Pennsylvania. The 12-month program aims to fill the gap that few, if any, master’s and/or PhD counseling programs offer information and training specific to supporting the needs of transgender individuals. The program is for licensed mental health professionals who are working with or plan to work with transgender, gender non-conforming, and/or gender expansive children, youth, or adults.
Over the year-long training, participants can expect to:
- Incorporate the new skills and training into exceptional care for your transgender clients
- Receive monthly readings that will begin with theory and build on specific skills and topics
- Attend a two-day training on February 23-24, 2018
- Attend a two-day training on September 28-29, 2018
- Participate in 40 hours of online supervision throughout the 12 months
- Receive a letter of completion
- Earn social work or psychology CEUs.
Four experts in the field of transgender mental health care will lead the training and provide the on-going supervision. Each trainer will provide online supervision times that participants will sign up for at their convenience. A total of 40 hours of supervision must be obtained for completion.
Space is limited to 40 participants to assure individualized training experiences. Cost is $5,000 per student, which includes all materials and food at the weekend training sessions. Tuition may be paid in installments and loans are available.